By Neepa Sevak
Nocturnal Enuresis also known as bedwetting is involuntary urination while asleep after the age at which bladder control is anticipated. Children who wet the bed do not do it knowingly. When a child has a problem with bed-wetting past the age of five years, then parents should be concerned. Bedwetting can become a cause of embarrassment for both children and their parents. This situation can possibly tarnish the self-confidence of the child developing a strong fear of being ridiculed by peers. Bedwetting can be absolutely cured with homeopathic treatment and strong support from parents.
Types of Bedwetting
- Primary: when a child has never developed nighttime bladder control.
- Secondary: when a child has accidental wetting after having had bladder control for six or more months.
Causes of Bedwetting
- Difficulty waking up from sleep
- Delayed development of the central nervous system affects the ability to recognize a full bladder
- A small bladder
- Some kids produce more urine at night if their anti-diuretic hormonal levels are low.
- Infection in the bladder or kidneys
- Defect in the urethral valves in boys or in the ureter in girls or boys.
- Deformity or injury of the spinal cord
- Stress from new fears or insecurities such as arrival of a new baby, a new school, sleeping away from home, moving into a new home, losing a family member, parents divorce, stressful toilet training, sexual abuse, being bullied or teased, being punished, feeling rejected, parental alcoholism, nightmares
- Sleep apnea
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Chronic constipation - full bowels can put pressure on the bladder
- Caffeine intake like soda, coffee, and chocolate
- Certain food allergies
- Children with Down Syndrome, ADHD, handicap and mentally retarded
- Improper toilet training
Symptoms of Bedwetting
- Feeling of guilt and embarrassment.
- Low self-esteem.
- Rashes on the bottom and genital area.
Homeopathic Approach to Bedwetting
A growing number of parents today are concerned about the side effects of conventional drugs, especially in the treatment of young children. Here are some of the reasons why every parent should consider homeopathy for their children. Homeopathy is a safe system of medicine for children. Children being more susceptible, respond quicker to Homeopathy. Homeopathic treatment, being based on the ‘Constitutional Approach,’ treats the disease at the root level, hence enhancing the resistance power of the child. Homeopathy is also considered child friendly as the homeopathic pills, being sweet in taste, are accepted readily by children.
The homeopathic remedies act both on the psychological, physiological and physical level to relieve the condition of Bed-wetting. The Homeopathic remedies will prevent any unwanted contractions of the bladder and restore normal bladder musculature, function and urethral sphincter control, hence, preventing any involuntary passing of urine. Homeopathic remedies have been formulated to treat Nocturnal Enuresis or Bedwetting naturally without disturbing the endocrine system and it reduces anxiety, which is attributed to cause bed-wetting in children. These remedies are natural, gentle, safe and can be given to children of any age.
Self Care Measures
- Limit fluids before bedtime.
- Have your child urinate just before falling asleep.
- Wake the child during the night to empty their bladder.
- Help your child recognize that it is okay to use the bathroom during the night if needed.
- Use small night lights so that your child can easily find the way to the bathroom at night.
- Be patient as you and your child work through the problem together.
- Do not punish or ridicule your child for bed-wetting.
- Be sensitive to your child’s feelings.
- Help your child relieve negative feelings about their bed-wetting.
- Taking responsibility for bed-wetting may help your child feel more control over the situation.
- Offer positive support, understanding and encouragement.
- Praise your child on dry mornings.
Hence, to tone and strengthen immature bladders, relieve anxiety, relax nervous children and improve their self-esteem by helping them be dry at night, consider homeopathy.