By Neepa Sevak
Our immune system is premeditated to protect us from illnesses. But exposure to several situations in this modern world can compromise it and disturb the PH balance of the vagina. A normal favorable yeast that is present in our bodies, Candida can stimulate into a harmful fungus, causing a commonly diagnosed yeast infection called Candidiasis. Yeast infection occurs in people of all ages and both sexes, but is more common in sexually active young women. For recurrent yeast infections symptoms get more noticeable a few days prior to the onset of menstruation and often get better once the period has ended. This is due to the vagina’s natural monthly fluctuating acid-base (PH) balance. Preceding menstruation and throughout the time of menstrual flow, the vaginal pH becomes much more alkaline, allowing yeast colonies which have been present in a dormant state to become active and produce symptoms.
Causes of Candida
- Prolonged use of antibiotics, corticosteroids, birth control pills suppresses the immune system and the normal intestinal bacteria that prevent yeast overgrowth
- Use of Intrauterine devices can create a favorable environment for fungal growth by decreasing normal vaginal secretions
- Consuming diets containing a lot of yeast and sugar
- Nutritional deficiencies
- During pregnancy due to hormonal changes
- Diabetes Mellitus as Candida albicans thrives in the presence of sugar
- A low immune system
- Continuous moisture of the genital area due to excessive sweating or by wearing non - ventilating clothing (wet swim suits)
- Douching will remove all the good bacteria and dry out the vaginal area helping yeast to thrive
- Too much stress
- Use of scented feminine hygiene products
- Unprotected sex - if a male partner is harboring an asymptomatic yeast infection in his prostate, his semen will have the potential of causing infection
- Improper hygiene
Symptoms of Candida
- Vaginal or anal bleeding, itching, burning and pain with swelling and redness of skin around the vagina.
- Offensive smelling thick, sticky, white or yellow vaginal discharge.
- Painful intercourse.
- Recurrent painful urinary infections.
- Impotence, Prostrate swelling in males.
- Constant fatigue.
- A white coating in mouth or on tongue.
- Abdominal pain with bloating and indigestion.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Weight loss or gain.
- Fungus on the finger or toe-nails.
- Skin rashes anywhere on the body.
- Hair loss and vision problems.
- Bad oral breath with canker sores.
- Memory loss, mood swings and depression.
Homeopathic Approach to Candida
Homeopathic remedies will help restore favorable pH level inside the vagina which is influential in the management of candidiasis and yeast infection. Please be aware that the yeast and fungal overgrowth affects your entire system, not just the reproductive tract. Hence, to treat recurrent yeast infection, your entire system must be treated. Homeopathic medicines will enhance resistance to vaginal infection by stimulating your immune system so that the illness can be resolved as rapidly and with as little discomfort as possible. Homeopathic medicines work on an entirely different principle, that it doesn’t interfere with the natural immune response but works alongside it by enhancing one’s ability to fight an infection. Based on the classical approach of Homeopathy a Homeopathic practitioner looks at the person holistically, that is mind, body and emotion together and not just at the symptoms of the illness.
Self Care Measures
- Eat nutrient-rich, organic, minimally-processed whole foods.
- Eat fresh and raw vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eliminate meats treated with synthetic hormones or chemicals.
- Reduce fats (use those rich in Omega-3 --fish and olive oils).
- Yeasts are facultative anaerobes that utilize sugar for their energy requirement. Therefore avoid sugary foods. No artificial sweeteners should be taken.
- Avoid fermented foods, vinegar, alcohol, cheese, mushrooms and stimulants like tea, coffee etc.
- Avoid unnecessary use of antibiotics, steroids and birth control pills.
- Avoid douches, vaginal deodorants, and perfumed toilet paper.
- Avoid smoking.
- Exercise regularly, and allow sufficient time for sleep.
- Practice stress management and relaxation skills.
- Sitting in a tub filled with warm water can give relief from the itching.
- Avoid having sexual relations until you feel better.
- Keep the genital area clean.
- Wear cotton underpants or pantyhose.
- Don't sit around in wet clothing, especially a wet bathing suit.
- Lose weight if obese.
Hence, to relieve the symptoms of Candidiasis yeast infection with the help of a safe, natural and effective treatment consider Homeopathy.