By Neepa Sevak
Have you ever had a severe reaction to something you ate? Normally, the body's immune system discriminates between good and bad substances in the body. It identifies evident harmful substances and produces antibodies, such as histamines, to fight them. When the immune system reacts bizarrely to fight a substance that typically causes no harm, an allergy occurs. A food allergy occurs when the body's immune system reacts to otherwise nontoxic substances in certain foods. While most food allergies are mild, in some cases they can cause anaphylactic shock, a life-threatening reaction. Common foods that can trigger the allergic reaction are milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, strawberries, melons, pineapple, tomatoes, MSG, preservatives, food colors, etc. Superfluous exposure to any particular food can sometimes give rise to a sensitivity making you allergic to it.
A reaction to food is not always an allergy but could be food intolerance which is more common and easily mistaken for food allergy.
Causes of Food Allergy
- Leaky gut syndrome (outflow of bacteria, toxins and undigested food wastes into the blood stream due to persistent irritation of the intestinal lining of the digestive tract)
- Abuse of Antibiotics
- Exercise induced
Symptoms of Food Allergy
- Itchy skin rash (Hives, Eczema or Psoriasis)
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue and throat
- Dark circles under eyes
- Tingling feeling in the mouth
- Difficulty swallowing
- Hoarse voice
- Sinus infection
- Breathing difficulty with wheezing
- Ear pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach bloating with cramps
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Hyperactive or lethargic behavior
- Becoming drowsy or dull minded after eating
- Hypotension (low blood pressure)
- Migraine headache
- Dizziness or fainting
- Anaphylactic shock
Homeopathic Approach to Food Allergy
Homeopathy pictures food allergies as an expression of an interruption in the patient’s immune system. Under stress, the immune system will cause certain symptoms, such as food allergy. These symptoms are not a disease to be cured in themselves, but a reflection of an underlying, deeper malfunction. Homeopathic remedies treat the entire person with deep acting constitutional approach which will help desensitize, reinforce the immune system and also prevent the recurrence of the problem. Homeopathy maintains all the tissues and organs as well as the emotions and intellectual functioning at optimum level. Homeopathy seeks to naturally stimulate the body's natural defenses against food allergy symptoms and situates the body in a position to react less and less to allergens. Homeopathic remedies are made from natural substances and include specific allergens to gently, safely expose the individual to their specific weak areas. This allows the natural defenses to properly adapt to the allergen and no longer react to it adversely.
Self Care Measures
- Breastfeeding your babies will reduce their exposure to foreign proteins, making them less prone to food allergies when they grow up.
- Know what you are eating by reading food labels carefully.
- Wear a medical alert bracelet so others know if you have a reaction.
- Help cleanse toxins from your body by drinking at least 12 - 15 glasses of water a day.
Hence, Constitutional Homeopathic treatment along with a proper diet and lifestyle can help you overcome your food allergies and give you the freedom to be able to eat anything.