By Neepa Sevak
Shingles also recognized as Herpes Zoster is an awful infection caused by the herpes virus presenting as a painful, blistering rash. The same virus that causes chicken pox is responsible for shingles and anyone who has had chicken pox during childhood has a likelihood of developing shingles later in life. The virus can stay dormant in nerve cells of the body for many years, and can reactivate anytime during lifetime causing shingles.
Causes of Shingles
- Contact with someone having shingles or a child having chicken pox
- Weak immune system
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Long term use of certain drugs like steroids, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, etc
- Skin injury
Symptoms of Shingles
- Pain on one side of the body usually on chest, back, neck, chest, face, arms and legs
- Rash with oozing blisters
- Numbness, tingling, itching and burning
- Fever with chills
- Loss of taste
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Joint pains
- Genital lesions
- Hearing loss
- Facial paralysis
Homeopathic Approach to Shingles
Homeopathy is the best choice of treatment for shingles or herpes. A weakened immune system is more prone to herpes infection. Homeopathic remedies are known to positively have an effect on the immune system and stimulate the body's own healing ability. Homeopathic remedies successfully and speedily help in healing the lesions, the pain, the discomfort, and prevent further development of complications and future outbreaks of shingles. Homeopathy does not consider shingles as a local affection of the skin but as having deeper roots within the system of the patient. Hence, the treatment is not simply symptomatic, but is constitutional based on a detailed case study and it attempts to treat the disease from the root cause.
Homeopathy can be an exceptionally successful approach in decreasing susceptibility in acute and chronic infections, as well as in treating the infection itself. The homeopathic constitutional approach always considers the illness in the context of the whole person taking into account the mental, emotional, physical symptoms and the circumstances surrounding their lives. Its purpose is balance and harmony on all levels by enhancing the body’s own defenses. Homeopathy strengthens a person's immune and defense system, hence treating the active infection and having long-term benefits by preventing recurrence. Homeopathic remedies are natural, gentle, safe and easy to take, are regulated by the FDA and prepared according to the homeopathic pharmacopeia of the United States.
Self Care Measures
- Treat the condition as soon as possible as it is infectious.
- Apply ice to blisters to relieve pain and burning.
- Wash hands each time you touch your blisters.
- Avoid sharing towels, pillowcases, bed sheets, etc.
- Wear cotton clothing.
- Avoid use of scented soaps, powder, bubble baths or feminine hygiene products.
- Relax as stress can trigger the symptoms.
When other systems of medicine fail to work effectively, and if you want to live with natural, safe, gentle, non-toxic, effective and rapid acting medicines, to relieve the symptoms of shingles, to experience substantial improvement in your outlook and quality of life consider homeopathy.