By Neepa Sevak
Cancer is one of the prevailing fears today. The intent of this article is to introduce you to the vital role that Homeopathy can play as a supportive care in Cancer. Cancer is a disease process in which healthy cells stop functioning properly. The process begins with a specific change in the nucleus of the cell, its genetic DNA. The altered DNA reproduces without limit and passes its information and gene sequencing on to other cells, which then become cancer prone. When these genetic alterations remain uncorrected, a cancer process can potentially escalate to its next stage of uncontrolled rapid growth.
There are a variety of different types of cancers out of which the most familiar ones are listed below:
- Carcinomas are solid tumors that form in the epithelial cells that cover the lungs, breast, prostrate, skin, stomach and colon.
- Leukemias are an over production of abnormal white cells that form in the blood and bone marrow and travel through the bloodstream creating problems in the spleen and other tissues.
- Lymphomas are made from abnormal white blood cells that assemble in lymph glands to produce solid cancerous tumors in the neck, groin, armpits, tonsils, spleen, stomach and intestine.
- Myelomas are rare tumors that appear in the antibody-producing plasma cells or blood cells in various tissues in the bone marrow. It usually causes bone destruction resulting in pain or fracture, low blood counts, kidney problems and repeated infections.
- Sarcomas are rare, deadly solid tumors that form in the bones, cartilage, muscles, tendons, and the outer protective linings of the lungs, abdomen, heart, central nervous system, and blood vessels.
Causes of Cancer
Even though cancer is a disease of DNA damage, most cancers are due to environmental factors rather than heredity. Causes include:
- Various chemicals, pesticides
- Tobacco and alcohol
- Occupational hazards
- Prolonged use of black and dark brown hair dyes, lotions, creams and talc
- People living near hazardous waste dumps and nuclear plants are at high risk for cancer
- Breast Implants
- Repeated exposures to radiation therapies and X-Rays can damage normal cells
- Ultraviolet radiation - Prolonged exposure to sun increases risk of skin cancer
- Certain viruses like Hepatitis B and C, Human Papillomavirus Virus and Epstein Barr Virus are associated with increased cancer risk
- Immune system diseases like AIDS can make a person vulnerable to cancer.
- Meat hormones
- High fat, high cholesterol diets are a risk to colon, uterus and prostrate cancers
- Hereditary - if an abnormal gene responsible for causing cancer is passed from parent to child
Warning Signs of Cancer
- Unusual bleeding or discharge from any parts of your body like nipples, penis or in urine or stool.
- A sore which does not heal, or is getting more painful or starts to bleed.
- Change in bowel or bladder habits.
- Sensation of lump in breast, scrotum or elsewhere.
- Persistent sore throat that doesn’t heal.
- Nagging cough that does not get better, bloody sputum and change in voice.
- A very noticeable change in border, color or size of existing warts or moles.
- Constant indigestion or difficulty in swallowing with pressure in throat or chest.
- Unexplained changes in weight.
- Loss of appetite.
- Chronic fatigue with weakness, paleness, flu like symptoms, enlarged lymph nodes.
- Unexplained bone pain or swelling.
- Lumps in the mouth, ulcers on the lip, tongue or inside of the mouth that does not heal.
- Discomfort in the abdomen with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation.
Homeopathic Approach as a Supportive Measure in Cancer
Homeopathy does not always treat the cancer, but can be helpful as a supportive measure in all stages of cancer. Along with the conventional treatment methods of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation, Homeopathy can help ease the pains, discomforts and fears associated with surgery, as well as the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation. It can assist individuals in enabling them to embrace the transition by improving the vitality and general sense of well being, it may stop to a certain extent the spread and complications of the disease process.
In certain initial stages of cancer, homeopathic medicines may possibly change some of the hereditary weaknesses, called miasms in homeopathy, which make some people more vulnerable to cancer. Along with all conventional modalities a holistic lifestyle, a diet rich in raw organic foods and juices, regular exercise, regular detoxification of eliminative channels and organs with homeopathic remedies, can dramatically increase your chances of fighting and reversing cancer. Detoxification is an important aspect of cancer protocols, by which we can optimize the well being of our immune system which is a powerful defense against cancer.
There are specific homeopathic remedies for various cancers that target the tumor and may reverse its growth. A remedy is selected which matches the symptom picture of the tumor itself along with other symptoms such as the patient’s food cravings, physical constitution, other individual characteristics of the patient.
Some homeopathic remedies act as drainage remedies and assist in healing the patient’s eliminative channels (kidneys, urinary tract, lymphatic system, liver, etc), and strengthen cell detoxification. This approach fixes the cause of the tumors rather than attacking the tumor directly. It stops the malignant growth, eventually absorbing and discarding it from the body.
Constitutional homeopathic remedies when matched to an overall constitution of the patient by getting a detailed picture of the patient’s mental, emotional, and physical symptoms may eliminate the tumor in initial stages. By assisting the body in addressing and resolving the energy that underlies the tumor, it can result in complete elimination of the tumor. The best selected constitutional remedy can also support drainage and detoxification of various eliminative channels and organs.
Homeopathic remedies are extremely safe and have no harmful side-effects. In advanced stages of cancer the condition may be incurable, but homeopathy can help ease pain and prolong life.
Certain Home Measures in the Prevention of Cancer
- Avoid heavily processed foods.
- Eat a variety of vegetables and fruits each day.
- Choose whole grains in preference to processed grains and sugars.
- Limit consumption of red meats, especially those processed and high in fat.
- Adopt a physically active lifestyle.
- Lose weight if currently overweight.
- Avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages.
- Deal with stress before allowing it to overtake you.
- Avoid pesticides and chemicals that are known carcinogens.
Hence, consider Homeopathy to manage symptoms of Cancer, side effects from Conventional chemo and radiation therapies, control pain, improve well being and quality of life.